Thursday, October 20, 2011

Am I that bad?

Today is D-day. Everyone has to present their selected journals on teaching and learning English. Just before class started, everyone was busy memorizing their points and practicing repeatedly, hoping to earn as many marks as possible.

When my group presented, I was told to present first. With much confidence, I spoke. However, I started noticing people are laughing. Even the lecturer was giggling. I didn't know why. Suddenly, she cut my speech. I pleaded to finished it but she rejected without mercy. I DIDN'T LIKE THAT. Anyway, I didn't care. I made sure I read the quote. But somehow, it became meaningless.

Later, while the lecturer gave us some feedback, she said I was good, but something's missing. The FLAIR. She also said I could have gotten the audiences' attention by using intonations. Well, if only my speech were not cut abruptly, and if only the class chose to listen attentively, I believe I would have done that. I would.

Or perhaps she's right. I always thought that I spoke with intonation, but what people hear, was different. All they could hear was a speech with flat tone. AM I THAT BAD? Then I recalled my roommate who was just 'crowned' as the best speaker in the Monday class. I was like... how the h*ll did he do it? He has bad grammar. I know that very well. But then, I think it boiled down to the intonation factor. It's not a foreign thing to him. He's a music student.

Just now we had dinner together at Secret Recipe. Before that, downpours and drizzles came alternatively. He's trapped in his faculty without an umbrella. Poor thing. Since I asked him out for dinner, I went to his faculty to meet him and to pass him an umbrella. I didn't cycle because the rain was just too heavy and I can't carry umbrellas with one hand and steer my bicycle with only another hand. And so we went to that infamous cafe-by foot.

Anyway, I wished we could talk more. He's rushing back for a class, so he quickly finished his meal and left. Me and myself, alone in the cafe. But it's okay. At least we spent some time together. Better than having a meal alone.

5 comments:

  1. Cool down man.. It's not that you are not good.. Perhaps it's just not the way she likes. And honestly, his grammar during presentation was OK, not that I side him ok.. Just that it's the truth. Perhaps you should think, maybe you really have something missing? I got cut too, and last sem I got B for EC. How frustrating is that huh? And I know I'm not that bad to deserve a B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. calm down... i only spoke two sentences, but i believe the lecturer know our level and know how to grade us... dun be too upset, u r gud...from my point of view, he really did well for his presentation (a lot better than me), the way he present is different from his usual way of speaking...

    15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father[a] is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.(1 John 2:15-17)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. C'EST LA VIE man, this is what u told me b4. Everyone is treated differently by different ppl, such as although i convinced i did better in the assessment but then my result still poorer than others, but i wont compared myself with them, i only can say they r luckier than me. Joshua really did a good job in it, but it doesn't mean u r not good as him. U r good, mayb miss Fairuz has good intention to make you better?plus, i'm sure she is not sarcastic. perhaps she realized u hv a wider space for improvement than us?
    think +ively =)
    “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven;"
    (Luke 6:37 ESV)

    ReplyDelete