Friday, October 21, 2011

Karoshi

Karoshi basically means overwork to death in Japanese.

For the past two weeks, most of the nights I didn't have a good sleep. Not enough.

Today, I had only 2 hours of class in the morning. Sounds light and easy? Not at all. I woke up at 5 a.m. to complete my lab report. Some reports were tormenting me because of the weird questions. Because of that, I cannot focus in class. The first hour was a quiz on some chemical geometry. In the second hour, the lecturer taught us something new.

My mind was like switched off. Can't learn anything. All I thought about was my unfinished report and I wanted to sleep. The lack of sleep totally ruined my day.

Later in the evening, my friends invited me to Secret Recipe. I thought, not again... I was there yesterday and burned a hole in my wallet. And I wanted to sleep. Well, it was to celebrate a junior's birthday, which was yesterday. I don't understand. Didn't he just celebrated with his friends yesterday? So why we seniors had to celebrate with him again on another day?

So between him and my nap? I chose the latter. Didn't want to be a zombie later.

Sometimes I feel great to say 'NO'. At least I can tell myself that I don't have to depend on friends to lift up my mood. Friends can forsake us. Better treat yourself properly. It's fine to put yourself first sometimes.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that I invited you over.. I didn't know you didn't have enough sleep. Well... For Eric's birthday,it's late, but it's still a blessing from us. He celebrated it yesterday but that's with his other friends, not us. So i think we can have a celebration for him as another group of friends. I'm very sure that he is very grateful. So I hope that you understand this. Maybe it's still new to you, but this is our way of treating friends. This is among the things friends are for. Sorry if I offended you in any way. Anyway, take care of yourself because you look really tired recently. Have enough rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no la... no one offended me in anyway. was just trying to be in someone's shoes. someone who is selfish and only practices the "I, Me , My" concept.

    ReplyDelete