Monday, October 10, 2011

Mind-blowing day

You probably can't imagine a lecturer who doesn't even teach you, gives you a lunch treat, can you? Well, this mind-blowing incident happened to me today.

I'm the class monitor for my Students' Learning and Development group. Prior to this, I had to help my class to settle the book money with Dr Suppiah, the course coordinator. Thank God, I managed to complete the transaction about a week or two ago, and he said one of these days we should go out for lunch together. I thought he was kidding!

Today, I went for his class just to put myself into my friends' shoes. They had been complaining that he didn't do a good job and only talked nonsense.

To my surprise, he welcomed me like a special guest in his class. I really felt honoured among my friends. He even said the class will end earlier so that he could eat with me. At the end of the lecture, he really brought me to Restoran Abuya for lunch. And lunch was on him.

To some people, it might sound strange. Not that I did him a favour. I just had some conversations with him whenever I met him regarding the text books. But this incident makes me rethink the purpose of education. It is not to impart knowledge only, but to have a relationship with the students, because we are not just teachers. We are EDUCATORS.

No comments:

Post a Comment